Others is Based on the Following Values and Principles
- OTHERS will operate in accordance with The Salvation Army's values
- OTHERS' trading activities will be characterized by solidarity, equality and fairness.
- OTHERS' products will, as far as possible, be procured, through activities administered by The Salvation Army in developing countries.
- All producers who work for OTHERS will be given fair compensation and support to improve their quality of life. Others will seek to empower producers to develop an independent life with opportunities for healthy and safe alternatives outside of OTHERS.
- OTHERS will seek to select the most appropriate partners to meet its goals. OTHERS will influence its partners to promote fair trade.
- OTHERS will base its activities on profitability. Profit is necessary t secure access to resources, development and economic sustainability.
- OTHERS will be characterized by openness in all its activities.
is a commercial enterprise, owned by The Salvation Army. Our operations follow ordinary business practice, but all proceeds go back into developing the concept and creating more jobs. The supply chain varies in accordance with the varied nature of our products and our sales channels, and so it's not possible to identify a fixed portion of the price of each individual product that goes back to the producer. But at the bottom of each price calculation is a guaranteed fair wage for the producer. In this way our products are comparable to "fair trade" products. Salaries are determined with reference to local standards and are regularly reviewed.
The main goal of OTHERS is creating employment. The core of the concept is that each product that you buy contributes to the creation of fairly compensated work for people who would otherwise have limited opportunities. Production units are in many cases linked with The Salvation Army's community development programs, where producers receive necessary counselling and support.